Brigadier General L. Kip Clark is Chief of Staff, Indiana Air National Guard, Headquartered at Stout Field in Indianapolis. He serves as a senior advisor to The Adjutant General on matters pertaining to the 2000 Indiana Airmen, State employees and contractors serving primarily at the 122d Fighter Wing and 181st Intelligence Wing. General Clark also serves as the Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander, 25th Air Force, representing over 2500 Air National Guard Airmen executing global Intelligence, Reconnaissance and Surveillance (ISR) missions.
Prior to his current assignments, General Clark commanded the 181st Intelligence Wing, directly responsible to organize, train and equip forces to support State and National readiness requirements, to include 24/7/365 Distributed Ground Station ISR support to multiple Combatant Commands.
General Clark enlisted into the Indiana Air National Guard in 1984, and received his commission in 1987 through the Academy of Military Science. He completed Undergraduate Navigator Training in 1988 and began his flying career as a Weapons Systems Officer in the F-4E. In 1992 he completed pilot training and began flying the F-16C. General Clark has multiple combat deployments for Operations Northern Watch and Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and deployed as the 113th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron Commander in support of PACOM’s Theater Support Package. He was also a Distributed Ground Station Mission Operations Commander, supporting OIF and OEF combat missions. At the National level, he served five years as the ANG’s ISR Weapon System Council Chairman and on the Air Directorate Field Advisory Council. He also served two NGB short tours in A3 and A2, assisting on projects regarding Air Space, Ranges and ISR Force Allocation.
1986 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Indiana State University 1996 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1997 Joint Firepower Control Course 1997 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course
2001 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2005 Masters of Science in Management, Oakland City University 2006 Air War College, by correspondence
2009 FEMA Introduction to the Incident Command System 2010 USAF Intelligence Officer School
2013 USAF Operations Group Commander Course 2014 Dale Carnegie Next Level Leadership Course
2016 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course 2016 ANG Commander Development Course
1. September 1987 - July 1988, undergraduate navigator training, Mather Air Force Base, Calif.
2. July 1988 - February 1989, F-4 Replacement Training Unit, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
3. February 1989 - March 1991, Weapons Systems Officer, 113th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
4. March 1991 - April 1992, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
5. April 1992 - January 1993, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
6. January 1993 - May 1999, F-16 Aircraft Commander, 113th Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
7. May 1993 - July 1997, Camp Atterbury Range Officer, Camp Atterbury Ind.
8. July 1997 - Jan 1999, Safety Officer, 181st Fighter Wing, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
9. January 1999 - January 2001, A Flight Commander, 113th Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
10. January 2001 - October 2001, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 113th Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
11. October 2001 - November 2002, Operations Support Flight Commander, 113th Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
12. November 2002 - July 2004, Operations Officer, 113th Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
13. July 2004 - September 2007, Commander, 113th Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
14. September 2007 - November 2011, Commander, 137th Intelligence Squadron, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
15. November 2011 - October 2014, Commander, 181st Intelligence Group, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
16. October 2014 – 30 Nov 2016, Commander, 181st Intelligence Wing, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Ind.
17. 1 Dec 2016 – Present, Chief of Staff, Indiana Air National Guard, Stout Field, Indianapolis Indiana
Rating: Command Pilot Flight Hours: More than 2700
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, F-4D, F-4E, F-16C
MAJOR DECORATIONS AND AWARDS
Meritorious Service Medal with one device Air Medal with one device
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one device Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two devices Combat Readiness Medal with two devices National Defense Service medal with one device Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one device Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Indiana Homeland Defense Service Ribbon Indiana Overseas Service Ribbon
Indiana Emergency Service Ribbon
Air Directorate Field Advisory Council - Member ANG ISR Weapons System Council – Chairman
National Guard Association of Indiana – Board of Directors National Guard Association of the United States - Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 17 September, 1987 First Lieutenant 08 April, 1990
Captain 26 June, 1992
Major 13 July, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel 08 April, 2001
Colonel 24 May, 2012
Brigadier General 01 December, 2016
(Current as of March 2017)