Colonel Matteo “Mooch” Martemucci is the Commander, 70th Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) Wing, headquartered at Fort George G. Meade, MD. The Wing is subordinate to the 25th Air Force and Air Combat Command.
The 70th ISRW delivers decision advantage for national-level decision makers, combatant commands, and air component operations and forces. The Wing executes ISR and information assurance operations; enables air, cyber and space operations; and directs personnel development and installation support activities. The wing serves as 25th Air Force's "Lead Wing" for National-to-Tactical Integration Enterprise operations, Core Cryptologic Group operations, and ISR operations enabling cyber and space effects.
The Wing is comprised of 5,700 Airmen serving in 34 global locations, and is organized in six groups, 21 squadrons and six detachments. Subordinate groups are: 373d ISR Group (Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, AK); 543d ISR Group (Lackland AFB, TX); 544th ISR Group (Peterson AFB, CO); and the 659th ISR Group, 691st ISR Group and 707th ISR Group (Fort George G. Meade, MD).
Colonel Martemucci is a career intelligence officer with assignments supporting the F-15, F-16, and B-2 test programs as well as operational SR-71, U-2, F-16, A-10, HH-60G, HC-130, Guardian Angel (Pararescue) and Falconer (AOC) weapon systems. He commanded the 315th Network Warfare Squadron, the Air Force’s premier Computer Network Attack and Computer Network Exploitation squadron, and the 318th Cyberspace Operations Group. Between commands he served as the Chief of the Intelligence, Surveillance, & Reconnaissance Division of AFCENT’s 609th Combined Air Operations Center (CAOC).
He has also held positions in Special Operations (Airborne) and Signals Intelligence assignments.
As an Air Force Intern, he served on both the Air Staff and Office of the Secretary of Defense Staff.
He has deployed as part of Operations DECISIVE ENDEAVOR, SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM. A fully qualified European Foreign Area Officer, he is fluent in Czech and conversant in Italian and Spanish languages and served on a Military Liaison Team in the Czech Republic. He is also a military parachutist with 25 jumps from 7 different aircraft types. He is a published author, with work on Strategic Communications appearing in the IOSphere – the professional journal of Joint Information Operations, and his work on Cyber policy is published in the Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law. Following his National Security Affairs Fellowship at the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University, California, he continues to speak publicly on issues of Cyber strategy and policy. Col Martemucci is married and has two sons.
1994 Bachelor of Arts, International Politics, The Pennsylvania State University
1994 Distinguished Graduate, USAF Fundamentals of Intelligence Course and Graduate,
Intelligence Officer Applications Course
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Graduate Certificate, Organizational Management, George Washington University
2003 Master of Science, International Relations, Troy State University
2003 Air Command & Staff College, Seminar
2007 Master of Science, Joint Campaign Planning & Strategy, National Defense University
2009 Air War College, Correspondence
2011 National Security Affairs Fellowship, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
1. November 1994-May 1995, Student, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2. January 1996-February 1996, Detachment Intelligence Officer, 99th Reconnaissance Squadron
(Deployed) Istres-Le Tube AB, France
3. January 1997-April 1997, Chief of Intelligence Operations, 4404th Wing (P), Prince Sultan AB,
4. July 1995-November 1997, Chief, Test Squadron Intelligence Support, Air Force Flight Test
Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
5. November 1997-May 1998, Ops Officer, Czech Military Liaison Team, Prague, Czech Republic
6. June 1998-July 2000, Intelligence Operations Officer, Special Operations Command Joint
Forces Command (Airborne), Norfolk, Va.
7. July 2000-May 2001, Chief, Intelligence Systems Element and Deputy Commander,
Intelligence Flight, 51st Operations Support Squadron, Osan Air Base, Korea.
8. June 2001-June 2002, Air Force Intern, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. August 2002-July 2004, Flight Commander & Chief, Joint National-Tactical Integration Branch,
566th Information Operations Squadron, Denver, Colo.
10. April-July 2005, Chief of Intelligence, 64th Expeditionary Rescue Squadron, Balad AB, Iraq
11. August 2004-July 2006, Intelligence Flight Commander/Senior Intelligence Officer, 347th
Rescue Wing, Moody AFB, Ga.
12. August 2006-June 2007, Student, Joint Advanced War Fighting School (NDU), Norfolk, Va.
13. July 2007-June 2009, Director of Operations, 547th Intelligence Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
14. June 2009-June 2011, Commander, 315th Network Warfare Squadron, Ft. Meade, Md.
15. July 2011-June 2012, National Security Affairs Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
16. July 2012-July 2013, Chief, Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance Division, 609th Air and
Space Operations Center, Air Forces Central, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
17. July 2013-July 2015, Commander, 318th Cyberspace Operations Group, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
18. August 2015-May 2017, Assistant Deputy Director, Deputy Directorate for ISR Operations, J-32,
Joint Staff, Washington D.C., as a Colonel
19. May 2017- Present, Commander, 70th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing Fort
George G. Meade, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal (3 Oak Leaf Clusters)
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Achievement Medal (1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 13 May 1994
First Lieutenant 8 August 1996
Captain 8 August 1998
Major 1 February 2005
Lieutenant Colonel 1 March 2009
Colonel 1 October 2013
(Current as of 19 May 2017)