Colonel Steven M. Gorski is the Commander, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. AFTAC operates and maintains the United States Atomic Energy Detection System to monitor foreign compliance with various treaties limiting nuclear testing. The focus of AFTAC’s more than 1,000 professionals is to detect special events in the atmosphere, underwater, underground, and in space to determine if they are nuclear and to report them to U.S. senior decision makers.
Colonel Gorski graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1996 with a degree in physics. Upon completion of the Intelligence Officers Course at Goodfellow AFB, Texas, he was assigned to the 355th Wing at Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz., where he provided intelligence support to A-10 and EC-130 aircrews. His operational experience includes assignments as the Intelligence Flight Commander for the 23rd Operations Support Squadron; the Chief of Target Development for the 607th Intelligence Squadron; and the Chief of the Joint Exploitation Cell for the Joint Special Operations Command.
Colonel Gorski’s multiple combat deployments include serving as a member of various Special Operations Task Forces in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraq Freedom and Operation Allied Force, as well as participating in several global contingency operations.
1996 Bachelor of Science degree in Physics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
1999 Information Operations Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2002 Squadron Officer School in residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Master of Science degree in Engineering Physics, Air Force Institute of Technology
2005 Combat Targeting Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2007 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2010 Master of Arts degree in National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, R.I.
2014 Master of Arts degree in National Strategic Studies, National War College, Washington, D.C.
1. May 1996 – May 1997, Student, Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2. May 1997 – August 1998, Analyst, Intelligence Operations Flight, 355th Operations Support Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. August 1998 – August 2000, Chief of Intelligence, 43rd Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. August 2000 – August 2002, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. August 2002 – June 2004, Deputy Site Chief, Laser Radar Research Facility, Air Force Research Laboratory, Eglin AFB, Fla.
6. June 2004 August 2005, Executive Officer, Air Force Research Laboratory, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. August 2005 – August 2006, Chief of Target Development, 607th Air Intelligences Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
8. August 2006 – August 2007, Intelligence Flight Commander, 23rd Operations Support Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
9. August 2007 – August 2009, Chief, Joint Exploitation Cell, Joint Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, N.C.
10. August 2009 – June 2010, Student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. June 2010 – June 2012, Commander, Air Force Materiel Command Intelligence Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. June 2012 – June 2013, Executive Officer, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2013 – June 2014, Student, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2014 – July 2016, Commander, Air and Cyberspace Intelligence Group, National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. July 2016 – present, Commander, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
May 2007 – June 2009, Chief, Joint Exploitation Cell, Joint Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, N.C. as a major
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 29, 1998
Captain May 29, 2000
Major April 2, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
(Current as of May 2018)